Monday, March 26, 2012

More steps, in the right direction!


So I tried to start writing this post from my phone in the car and my cell and the blog composer were like "nope... too bad, you get to wait hahaha!"  Well here I am now! After yesterday 6 hour drive (<--this picture is of the frozen lake in the pass on the drive back to Spokane) and making rounds to see our friends and a long Walmart window shopping trip, which wasn't sort of a fail on the window part because we did buy things.... more on that later... I am here but whoa I am a so tired, even after an white coffee that I bought myself to celebrate and try to stay awake... Celebrate? YES! Celebrate! We got the apartment with the big back yard!!!!! Sadly we can't move in till sometime after the first. I don't care.. I am ecstatic happy. It's not as small as I thought it would be! Bonus... and the owner says after he goes thru this process we can dig through the stuff the last tenants left for kitchen stuff etc. as long as we get rid of what is left... and It looks like I will have a freecyle account by then!!! I so love how everything is working out.. We talked about garden stuff and he got super excited and asked if he could have a portion of the crops =] Of course! We talked about rain barrels to and he might even help me with those... He asked about ho big the garden would be and I said I didn't really know yet and he said "Well there's certainly plenty of back yard!" and there is! Check this out...

 The apartment! We have some trees!
 The front yard... Looks really messy to me. Poor tree's roots look a little trapped and unhappy... I am so going to use those pots!!!
Side yard... Does anyone recognize the bush? It looks a little out of control.

 And thee backyard!!! Where the main gardening happens! That's my dog Domino by the way...
This is the shelf thing-y the land Lord said I could have... <3 I was thinking a home for plants! I love it! =D

Any suggestions would help me so much because I really don't know where to start yet... There are so many possibilities!

And.... I GOT SEEDS!!!! Thankyou Irene Knouff! OMG I super love love love them so so so MUCH!
She gave me:

Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Cilantro, Fennel, Kale, Leeks, Lemon grass, Lettuce, Onion, Parsley, Parsnips, Tomatoes, Water melon.

 Now I have to do some research on ways to plant and where to plant... Which reminds me that I have to look into what we have for an extension office and call them! Also need to research my zone which is 5 apparently.

I have this feeling I'm going to have to grow a lot of veggies because I want to do canning freezing and dehydrating like to share stuff and our old room mate eats mainly veggies and I just know she is going to want some. I am not even a hundred percent sure I will get any produce but I sure do hope so!

Today I also got my very first garden catalogs which I have been happily reading and going thru all day in the car as we've been trying to get new car parts and such.
 I have actually been learning a bunch from these catalogs! Lots of inspiration!
So I was a little alarmed when I was out in the garden section at Walmart nothing is labeled organic or says if it's not GMO.... Are any of those plants or seeds even safe??? I hate this struggle with trying to find safe foods!

Lookie!! =D My first gardening gloves! <3 
This was Winter's early housewarming gift to me! =D 

I hope you liked my update.. I am super duper excited!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Your "uncontrolled shrub" on the side yard appears to be creeping juniper. It can safely be pruned, at least to get it off the side walk. It's lovely and will make a pretty backdrop to flowers. Best of luck in your new home!

    ReplyDelete